I am documenting the process for pointing a domain that is hosted at GoDaddy that currently is pointing to a virtual dedicated server at GoDaddy to point to a server at another host.
(If you were NOT hosting your site previously on a virtual dedicated server at GoDaddy, see their simple instructions for pointing a domain you are hosting at GoDaddy to a third-party server.)
Because it took multiple calls to GoDaddy tech support and even a ticket to my new host (ServePath) to discover what was going wrong, I am sharing this information to save others much time and frustration. (GoDaddy’s Help does not document this process.)
This relates to a Linux setup. I’m not sure if it’s different for Windows.
1. First, if you had set up Custom Nameservers instead of using GoDaddy’s nameservers you need to change this.
GoDaddy’s instructions for pointing to a server at another host currently don’t tell you the info below. They tell you to go to Total DNS Control however this does not show up until you park your domains at GoDaddy by doing the following:
a. Log in and click on the domain you want to manage.
b. Click to update Nameservers
c. Select the GoDaddy parked nameservers and Save.
You can delete your custom name servers.
2. Change the IP address your domain hosted at GoDaddy points to, so it points to the server at your new host:
To Modify Your Name Servers in the NEW Domain Control Center
Please allow 24 hours for this to completely update. To change the IP address for your domain:
• Log in to your Account Manager.
• Select Manage Domains from the Domain Names menu.
• Click on the domain for which you wish to change the IP.
• Click Total DNS Control and MX Records.
• Under the A (Host) section, click the pencil icon for the first entry.
• Enter the new IP address into the Points To Ip Address: field.
• Click OK.
3. Change your MX records to point to the mail server at the new host.
If you are hosting a domain with Godaddy but have your email server hosted elsewhere, you need to modify your MX Records in your Account Manager. Otherwise you will not receive email!
Here are the instructions from GoDaddy for updating your MX Records.
Please consider this “unofficial help” and ask GoDaddy if you have any questions.